Today I want to share with you how my family travel minimally, and how we avoid paying additional baggage fees when we are traveling by airplane. I will also share with you how we travel minimally when we are traveling by car.
I will let you in on my secrets, tips and ideas to keep your travel simple, easy and very light which helps you keep your sanity if your are traveling with kids or have a big family.
Depending on which airline you are traveling with, the new baggage rules are, one purse or handbag and 1 carry on item and it have to fit underneath the seat in front of you. Airlines or now charging you if you need to use the overhead to store your luggage.
More important information you need to know is that your carry on item must fall with in the measurement guidelines set by the airline you are traveling with or you are going to pay an additional cost for the airline to check your luggage on the airplane.
Yes this happened to me, as I was boarding on the airplane, the check in agent stopped me and told me my luggage did not meet the required measurements of their airline and that I needed to pay an additional cost if I wanted my luggage to go with me.
Of course I paid, but what if I didn’t have any money on me, I guess my luggage and all of my possessions would’ve been left behind. Please make sure you have that information before you travel by way of airplane.
Now the airlines are requiring you to wear mask for the entire flight.
They want everyone in family to have proof of identification. Like a real ID or driver’s license or passports. We have passports for everyone in my family.
If you are traveling on Southwest Airlines and if you are traveling on an international flight, you are allowed to check in a large piece of luggage with out paying a fee but they have weight guidelines. Your luggage can not weigh more than a certain number or you will have to pay an additional fee. Please check with the airline you are traveling with about the weight measurements.
Frontier Airlines changed their policies, you now have to pay for all luggage except your purse or a handbag. We travel with them because they have good deals on their flights and I love that you can pay a small fee and watch TV, that is always entertaining for the kids.
So how do I get around all of the baggage fees, and fall with in the baggage guidelines? I travel as a minimalist!
I use to over pack when my family traveled because I wanted to make sure I had everything I thought I needed, but what I realized is, half of the things I packed in my suitcases I didn’t use. I think it is a good thing that the airlines is making us pack minimally.
I will tell you how I pack my kids items and then I will tell you how I pack for my husband and myself.
Packing for my children for a 4 day trip. Each child has
- One toothbrush and toothbrush container and a travel size toothpaste.
- Swim wear
- Only 2 pair of shoes, sandals and a pair of tennis shoes. When we travel, my kids always wear their tennis shoes. The sandals are pack away.
- Under garments 4 pairs. One pair they have on, 3 get packed away.
- One travel size deoderant.
- Travel size hand sanitizer for everyone.
- Headphones to listen to movie
- 1 small bar of soap for each person.
- 4 outfits, one outfit they wear the day of travel, and the other 3 outfits are packed in their backpack.
- 1 pair of pajamas
- Each child gets 2 pairs of footie socks.
- Each child get to bring a fun item of their choice to keep them entertained on the airplane.
Packing for my husband and myself.
- Toothbrush and holder. Travel size toothpaste.
- Chargers for cell phones.
- Under garments for 4 days.
- 2 pairs of shoes. Comfortable shoes and a pair of sandals. Wear one for travel and pack one away.
- Travel size deodorant.
- Brush and comb I usually pack these items in my bag.
- Travel size lotion and hair oil.
- Flat iron for my hair.
- 4 outfits, one we wear the first day of travel and 3 outfits get packed away. I always bring an extra pair of earrings and one necklace.
- My make up stays in my purse. I am very minimal when it comes to my make up. I only use foundation, mascara, lip gloss, eye shadow, and liquid eyeliner.
- Travel size body spray.
- My journal, I have books on my smart phone including the Bible.
- Snacks for hubby and me.
Our travel geer of choice is a backpack. We pack everything in our backpack because backpacks are easier to walk through the airport with if you don’t weigh it down by trying to put in to many items.
My 15 year old learned this the hard way, she is a teenager and wanted to take her life in that one backpack. She did not wear half of the items in her backpack. The next time we traveled she pack very light.
When we arrive at the airport and just want to be hands free, we will pay for a cart. Sometimes it is easier to set the money aside for the carts, especially if you are traveling with children.
When we travel, I try and get the girls hair done in a maintenance free hairstyle like braids. If they swim, I will buy a small bottle of clarifying shampoo to rinse the chlorine out of their hair.
When we arrive at our destination we pay Walmart a visit and get the things we need. Like clarifying shampoo, etc.
We always like to stay at airbnb, hotels or lodging that have a laundry service either in our room or on the property. I like to wash our clothes a day before we leave giving us more clean clothes to wear while traveling back home.
When we are traveling by car,we have the liberty to bring more items but I still try and only travel with what I need. I try and keep the same clothing packing system. We might allot the kids one or two more entertainment items and we have the freedom to bring food and drinks. I will bring things I can’t travel with on the airplane like my perfume, soaps and lotions.
This is the way I travel minimally with a family of six. I hope you were inspired to pack very light, save yourself some money by not having to pay extra fees for luggage and keep in mind you don’t really use or wear half of the things you pack in your suitcase.
I would love to hear how you travel with your family leave a comment and subscribe to Christian Blog For Homeschool Moms and Homemakers Women. Follow me on my social media links down below. Click here to follow me on Instagram.Coach Angie!