So why do I want to address this issue? Because I lived with addictions, and the affects of having addictions in your life are crippling! You will not be able to enjoy a beautiful life until your additions are dealt with. So this issue has to be addressed, if you want to live the beautiful life Christ Jesus died for you to have.
Addictions rob us of our self-worth and self-esteem. It leave us feeling guilty, ashamed, living in fear, causes us to hide, and have self-hatred. Addictions destroys our character, pride, dignity and leave us feeling unworthy and without confidence. Addictions can also cause us to loose our relationship with our family, friends and associates. It can cause us to feel defeated, weak, hopeless and like failures. Living with an addiction can make you become heartless, covetous, selfish, lustful and uncaring. Addictions can destroy your life!
Now you see why I must deal with this issue. God loves you so much and his whole mission for reconciling you back to him is so that you can really experience what it means to experience true love.
The motivating force behind addictions is for you to escape from the reality of your life because of the absence of love you have for yourself and the absence of love that you want to feel with a physical human being.
The addiction gives you a temporary fix of the real feeling you want to be experiencing. It keeps you going back to that feel good feeling when ever you need it, and in return, it is making you addicted on the thing you keep going back to.
It doesn’t matter what the addiction is, it could be gambling, food, lust of all kinds like porn, sexual simulation from yourself, the opposite sex, same sex, perversion, the need to please, drugs, gossiping, lying, stealing, cheating, food, alcohol, nicotine, OCD, anorexia, bulimia, body piercing, and even tattoos. It doesn’t matter the addiction, the reason for having the addiction comes back to 2 core things, the absence of love you have for yourself and the absence of love that you want to feel with a physical human being.
I know you do not want to struggle with these addictions in your life anymore. You so badly want to be free of them, like I wanted to be set free when I struggled with addictions.
No one sees you when you cry out at night and asking God to deliver you from these strange addictions. Even feeling like you want to take your life because you feel like you will never be set free from the addiction. You are in real pain. You are feeling hopeless and discouraged because you don’t know why you can’t get set free from this addiction.
I want to share with you some tools that I’ve learned and that have helped me to get set free of addictions that wanted to destroy my life and keep me from experiencing freedom in Christ and the beautiful life that I am experiencing right now!
There is hope for you so please do not give up! Fight for your life, and fight for your future. God is on your side. But you have to want to be set free more than the addiction that you think have control over you. By the way, those addictions are just distractions that are keeping from living the life God wants you to live. One of beauty, love, joy and freedom.
STEPS TO GETTING FREE FROM ADDICTIONS!
1. Acknowledge that you need help. Whether you acknowledge it to yourself or someone you trust or to God, you have to acknowledge it. Just by simply stating the fact that this is a problem and it is robbing you and everyone around you of the love, life, time, purpose, freedom and joy that you should be experiencing and that they should be experiencing with you, is the first step to getting free. You tried to do it on your own, and here it is 10 years or more later and you are still struggling with this addiction. You need help. Say it right now! Lord I need you and I need help that only you can bring me. I have tried to do it on my own and have not been successful, so now I invite you in to change my heart and my mindset when it comes to this addiction. Name the addiction that you are struggling with to God. I can’t assume that everyone has a relationship with the Heavenly Father, having a relationship is key to getting set free from addictions. Pray this prayer. If you feel like you need to re-dedicate your relationship with the Heavenly Father pray this prayer..
2. Read God’s word (Holy Bible) especially on the addiction you are struggling with and find out what his word says about it. Agree with God, whatever He says about that sin you say the same thing about it. Write it down on paper and meditate on it until it become ingrained in your thoughts. You can go online and type it in. For example, “what does the Bible says about sex.” It will give you all the scripture concerning that topic.
In order for you to defeat your opponent you have to know everything about him. Satan is your opponent, his job is to keep you in darkness and from living a life of freedom and true fulfillment in Christ Jesus. You have to replace your defeated thoughts with new truths. Right down how God’s says you are to behave concerning that addiction. Now believe what God believes about it.
There are 3 major topics you are going to have to study concerning your opponent.
*Who is satan?
*What are satan tactics?
*How does satan tempt man and your way of escape?
3. Have a I am not giving up until I see my breakthrough attitude. Make up in your mind that you are going to be delivered from this no matter what! And that you are not giving up until you are free! Make up in your mind that you are no longer going to be defeated with this addiction. Even if you fall back from time to time until you can walk in your freedom, you must get back up with a winners attitude. The Bible says in Proverbs 24:16 KJV For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief. Here is an inspirational song to encourage you on your journey to freedom. We fall Down and Get Back Up Again by Donnie McCurklin.
Now, disregard the verses of the song that says a Saint is just a sinner who fell down. Once you accept Christ as your savior, God no longer calls you a sinner but calls you righteous. Calling yourself sinner is identifying with what you once were before you gave your life to Christ. Now that you accepted Christ as your Savior, though you my may sin in a certain area, don’t mean you are a sinner who is practicing sinning with no consciousness. If you shall fall back in old behavior patterns just quote the scripture in 1John 1:9 (NIV) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
4. Change your confession . speak it out of your mouth that you are delivered from the addiction. No longer agree with the negative chatter that is said by you, your thoughts or by other people. Do not claim to be a recovering nothing! You speak out of your mouth I am delivered from this addiction, I am set free from this addiction once and for all! The bible says in Proverbs 18:21(KJV) Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. It also says in Proverbs 18:20 (KJV) A man’s belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled.”
These scriptures are saying whatever you believe and speak out of your mouth is going to form your life. You will get exactly what you truly believe and speak about your life.
5. Guard your thoughts, eyes and your ears! Our senses is how we experience our world and are the most sensitive parts of our body that incite stimuli. Your thoughts evoke emotions and feelings, so it is important that you are thinking the right things and learning new truths so your mind can think on scriptures and positive confessions and evoke good emotions in your body. You have to guard your gates, especially eyes and ears. The Bible say in Matthew 5:27-28(NKJV) “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Why did God say when a man or woman look to lust after another human being, they are not married to, that they already committed the act of adultery in their heart? Because temptation starts the very moment you see, hear and then you linger over the thoughts of what ever is tempting you.
You saw the married man once, then you look again and then you linger and then you start thinking about him. You have now entered in an adulterous relationship with that married man, that belongs to another woman, in your heart! Before you ever committed any sin in your life you have committed in your heart already. Listen to what this scripture teaches in
James 1:13-15 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when by his own evil desires when he is lured away and enticed. Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is fully grown, it gives birth to death.
So it is important to stop the temptation before it enters. 2 Corinthians 10:5 (KJV) reads casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
Don’t think you are so strong that it can not happen to you. This next scripture lets us know we can fall into temptation if we are not careful, and God always provides us with away of escape. You have to change the things you watch on TV, the friends you hang around, get rid of the computer if it is creating temptation for you. You have to move to a new location, stop talking on the telephone, when you see temptation turn the other way and you get out of there fast! Do not look twice! Throw away all of the things that is attached to that addiction.
1 Corinthians 10:12-14 So the one who thinks he is standing firm should be careful not to fall. No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide an escape, so that you can stand up under it. Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.…
Go on a fast! One day Jesus disciples was trying to cast out an evil spirit out of a boy but they could not. They asked Jesus why they could not cast the evil spirit out. He said in Mark 9:28: After Jesus had gone into the house, His disciples asked Him privately, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” Jesus answered, “This kind cannot come out, except by prayer and fasting.”
Fast and pray! I received healing from a spirit of miscarriages on a 40 day fast. Read the Bible to find out the correct way to fast. Some of you need to fast food, social media, telephone, TV, secular media, being around certain environments and people until you are strong enough to avoid temptation. I still do not watch some rated PG 13 movies and I do not watch rated R movies at all. How bad do you want to be set free from that addiction? You have to do what it takes to be set free of addictions and strongholds.
Would love to hear from you. Leave a comment letting me know how this blog post blessed your life and follow me on Instagram and Facebook and to receive more amazing life changing content push the subscribe button.